Our Family

Our Family
All or most of us

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas at the Thompsons

This week has been busy to say the least, but I finally feel like it's Christmas.  We picked up Isaiah early yesterday morning from his drop off point in Gwinnett county and the planning and festivities began.  I am so proud of him, he has not only grown so much, in his education, but also in his outlook to life.  He had options this Christmas about where to spend his time, and I have to say as a parent, I did give him freedom within boundaries.  His older sister wanted him to come home to her, but with all the recent developments, her obvious resentment at him being at job corps, along with the fact that they would not pay for him to be transported there, I, as his Mum, did not feel that this was a good choice, even if she would pay for the transport.

He is "up", feeling successful, achieving at his trade, as well as his school work.  This is not a time for lectures or downers put on his rising self esteem.  I know he used us as his excuse not to go, even though he wants to see his sister, but isn't that what parents are there for?  I do know some of my older kids have regaled stories of how they used us as an excuse when they didn't feel comfortable about going to a party or event in their youth.  But, we also left the door open.  His sister is welcome to visit us here if she is willing to travel, and find her own accommodation if she really wants to see him.  I do not think Christmas is the time for disagreements so offering housing would lead to "not so good" interactions I fear.

So, we all piled in the airport shuttle, (that's what we drive) and headed to DollyWood early this morning.  I had made sandwiches for the journey, and from when we arrived, from that moment, and yes, I know it is cheesy, I felt like it was Christmas.  The lights, the family atmosphere, the hot chocolate and hot apple cider, the Christmas shows, and of course, the roller coasters.  Who, when you have nine children with you, can do without the roller coasters?

As the song goes, "Christmas Is Here" and tomorrow, we will wrap, laugh, squabble about who makes what cookies, bake and prepare dishes for the Christmas feast, and do some last minute shopping, eat treats, and watch holiday movies as we prepare for "Carols by Candle Light" at out church Christmas Eve.  Have a wonderful family Christmas everyone, and if you cannot be with your loved ones, then say a little prayer, and celebrate the birth of Christ in this special season.

No comments:

Post a Comment