Our Family

Our Family
All or most of us

Friday, January 14, 2011

Snow, Ice, animals and children

It has been a "hard" week. I have absolutely loved the snow. There was something in having to wake up early to feed the animals, find the eggs, make sure they were all OK in the unusual circumstances we have faced in Georgia this week. Luckily I still had my hiking boots from, oh eons ago, which were weatherproof and warm, and there was something that rose up from some roots somewhere, that really enjoyed this whole experience. I almost felt empowered as Rog and I trooped through the snow which became ice, to make sure all the animals were OK.

I love my goats and chickens and horses. The first day I was really concerned because although we opened the back of our big renovated barn, (we have two) our horses " chose " to not come in so on Monday morning when I went to feed them their manes were covered in icicles and their tails were not much better. I was worried even though they seemed not to be. They have their winter coats on (for all you animal people), but I wanted to take them in and warm them up even though that was or seemed not to be on their minds. I was so relieved that I had found "warm" buckets for water on line and had them in place before this whole wonderful and I do mean wonderful episode.

I am still learning this farm life, but I cannot tell you how much I love it. The horses were very sensible and over the next few days came inside and understood there was nothing, and I do mean nothing, to eat in the fields. Snow, with a covering of ice has covered our whole property and even with my bung shoulder, on which surgery was postponed until next week, I have loved being awoken by my internal clock to get up, have coffee, don the under freezing garb and go attend to my "farm". The kids are getting the idea slowly, and maybe God gave them an extra week to really understand all that I will not be able to do over the next few weeks.

It seems our farm is full of life. Our little wired haired Jack Russell dog, who was dumped over our fence, given to a couple who wanted her, then given back because the couple broke up, is deaf, albino, and amazingly sweet, is due to give birth to what we are calling "Jack Daniells" puppies, in two weeks. Our old vet told me she was spade, but alas was wrong. When Rog and I walked in from our little retreat to Australia, Jack Daniell babies were being made. We have two English Cocker Spaniels, one a show spaniel and one a field spaniel. We bought "Beau" to be a mate for our English Show Spaniel Bella, but alas Bella felt she was his mother so no pedigree babies for them. But, Beau trained our little Georgy Girl, (wired haired Jack Russell) and between him, Bella, and Georgy just ran together every opportunity they had. Every time Beau went out, well so did Georgy and the result, a house trained dog.

Just after Georgy is due to give birth, so are a couple of our goats. I have such amazing daughters and daughters-in-law, because by both these events, I will have my arm in a sling, a fact I don't really like, but to be back to 100% I have to have the operation. I can put it off, but then worry about arthritis setting in, and that is not an option. I have one of my nannies who is so "full" I wonder if she is having four kids and not three. She had triplets on her first kidding.
The other is getting very "fat" as well. I am really hoping that they will not kid until I think is really their due date, but goats can and will fool you. But my amazing family is ready and willing to be there, even if it only for the fact that none of us have had "kids" before. On the other hand, I am responsible, and our large animal vet is on call, and really willing, along with her students from Kennesaw, to all be present to make sure we have a large happy family.


No comments:

Post a Comment