Our Family

Our Family
All or most of us

Thursday, October 1, 2009

It's one of those nights where I have a million things running through my brain, and so many great things happening, I sometimes wonder where to start, let alone finish. Today, was "drama" day and I started directing my little theater company I started at my kids school. "The Lighthouse Theater Company" presents!!! We have had auditions, and the read through, and today we got up on that stage and started "Bah Humbug" the musical.

I have not worked with a lot of kids in pretend drama, mostly kids in real dramas! I decided I would definitely get myself a microphone so I could be heard above the excited, visiting voices of thirty odd kids ranging from 6 to 16. So we blocked half of the first song in an hour, and I have decided that we need a little more time to achieve what we have planned. Of course, it will get boring for them at some time, not all of them have lines and in theater you do sit around waiting a lot of the time, unless you have a small cast.

At the same time I am directing a British comedy which has four rehearsals before tech week. That's the week where everything comes together in the theater and you add all the props, the lighting, the set, the sound effects and hope it all works! Today, before drama rehearsal, I had a production meeting in the morning and set out with my friend and leading lady to hunt for some "stuff" for our set. We bought the most AWFUL couch, which when I saw it I just knew we had to have it. It cost the whole of $38.93. I then found the worst looking curtains you could possible imagine to go with this loud red, blue, orange and green big flowered pattern couch. The play talks a lot about how dreadful the curtains are.

I have certainly tested my abilities in this play, I have sculpted a "roman girl carrying a bowl" and painted a canvas that can be likened to the couch. I have also written a "theme" song similar to those found accompanying British sitcoms. It has been so much fun and a definite break from the general hustle and bustle of raising ten kids at home and four on the perimeter with the grandchildren popping in as well here and there. Now, I will say, my artistic work has to be seen to be believed, but I think it will be popular at the auction to raise money for our company, as the best white elephants there! Or at least the "joke" items.

We had record floods last week, and needless to say I am glad that all is back to normal including the muddy pool, which is blue once more. The weather is turning cool, which I love, but with it comes dealing with how the change of season affects my children with bi-polar. The spring and the fall, always bring challenges as the light begins to change and moods begin to swing. During all the rain that fell, and mud that slid, my one really challenged child had the worst time I have seen her have in a long time. For a couple of days, it really looked like she would have to go to inpatient treatment, but thank God, we have avoided that and reverted to alternate plan B, which is Mr. Risperdal. (a common drug used for bi-polar and other similar disorders). I am often speechless when well meaning people come up and say, "Oh she'll get over it."

Isaiah is doing better with school work, but struggling in other areas. He is responding to a routine and structure along with boundaries, which he sometimes pushes to see whether he will get a "beating" or not. It brings back memories of our fostering days, when kids come into care from neglected and abusive situations, and try to re-create the very circumstances they came from. Harmony and peace do not come easily to ones who have lived with fighting, and uncertainty. What's that song? "It Takes Time". Yes it does, but when I look back to the end of July and where he was then, he has travelled a long way and I know he has not been saved from certain death in Africa, for no purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment