Our Family

Our Family
All or most of us

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Just had a wonderful "tech week" rehearsal for Wife Begins At Forty. This is sort of like a British "Sitcom" story, reminds me of "Fawlty Towers" for those who follow John Cleese. This is my first director spot for this great community theater I have been involved with for over a year now. It is up for the M.A.T. Awards (translated that is the Metropolitan Atlanta Theater Awards) so every detail has to be "just so". I have a brilliant or "brill" cast who have been a dream to direct, and the most amazing set designer who just "does" it.

I have been just impressed by friends of cast and cast members, who have turned up consistently to paint and help the designer build the set, which is just a hard job and not the set designers, but mine to do. My lighting guy, has a dad, who is dying of cancer in hospital, and we just didn't get things done today because they were deciding his next and last couple of months in this life. There is this little darling girl or young lady I should say, who is an intern at the theater where we are performing, who is coming in and running the sound effects (of which there are many) for most of each performance. I'm thinking she has a "curfew" of sorts because she disappears at the same time every night. And then, guess whose job it becomes. Not that I object, I am somewhat a perfectionist, and like to know exactly what happens and make sure it happens when it is supposed to.

Tonight, my eldest at home, was having a crisis, because Rog and I felt that something that she REALLY wanted to do, was just too "risky". She is 18 going on 30 but about 13 when it comes to relationships with the opposite sex. So, cutting a long story short, my amazing husband had stepped in a couple of months ago to fulfill the role of the "somewhat demented grandad" and we have been having this wonderful time together going to rehearsals, but tonight we not only went ourselves, but took nine kids with us to the quiet please "dry run" of performance. I can honestly say, I would rather not repeat that. Not that they were awful, in a house of our magnitude there has to be order and discipline, but wearing so many hats has it's disadvantages.

Might I add, that our "three legged" dog is also in the show. She is more needy than the kids. Oh, isn't life amazing and wonderful and full of surprises. It would be good though, if I could get notice on the next taking nine kids to rehearsal surprise.

1 comment:

  1. Never a dull moment with you! How exciting that the play has started! I wish I could be there, but I'm in Prague with our oldest daughter and family. She just had her second child. Can't wait to hear how it all is going!

    ReplyDelete