Our Family

Our Family
All or most of us

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Good Things Happening

It's easy to dwell, or get wrapped up in, the chaos of everyday life, and the things that bring us down.  It's easier to get up in the morning and end up in chaos just getting everyone out of the house, either to school, or to your job, or that early meeting downtown where you have to fight the six lane traffic in rush hour, with the usual crash, or break down, or just the sun hanging low and bright in the sky because it is now daylight saving.  But, if you can just say that small prayer and hold your breath, often, count to ten, and smile, let some of the stuff roll off your back, then life is better.  Laughs come more often, frowns, which by the way are unbecoming and lead to wrinkles, are less.

It is harder to laugh at yourself when you know you are being silly, or petty, or lacking in patience, than to let it roll off and begin your day well.  I know those things are true for me.  I am a morning person, but I do like to see everything in it's place when I get up.  That, in my house with eight children, is a romantic notion, no matter how much I cleaned up the night before.  There's always just one more cup of tea, one more snack, one more munch on the huge family size packet of chips.  And, of course, the load of laundry someone needed for tomorrow, put in the dryer with the wrinkle cycle on, just to wake me up in the wee hours of the morning.

But, all of those things tells me there is life in my home, and it is flourishing.  There is the beginnings of independence, the consequences of having to get out the door in the morning after you clean up your mess from the night before.  The trays with just the left over crumbs from my tweens learning how to make brownies in the microwave, and tonight, gluten free, chocolate chip cookies from my flour mix in the pantry.  Quite proud of them, even if it is a bit of a mess, because at least I can get to eat one!

Sometimes, you have to get messy to learn, to grow and become responsible.  As I look forward to Isaiah coming home for the week end, that is how it has been for him also in the last few years.  He has had to pull down the walls, and look at the mess that had built up behind them, and learn to clean it up in the very best way he could, with our help of course.  His language and math skills, just at grade one level some three and a half years ago, are now around sixth grade.  That has taken huge steps forward, intermingled with huge steps backwards to progress, but he doesn't frown much anymore, he has a big smile on his face because his future is looking brighter and brighter every day.

I imagine that it will take another twelve to eighteen months at Job Corps for him to complete his GED, and his trade, which has been slowed down to match his pace in general education, but I can't wait to see him earn his right to have put most of his messes behind him.

I am about to release, publish my book, Finding Friday and to do so and meet the speaking engagements, house concerts and marketing expenses, I am doing a campaign at Indiegogo.  Please share the link below with your friends in social media, and your family.  This story must be heard, if only to save another child from the suffering and huge hurdles that Isaiah has had to go through.  As my pastor says to our church, only give if you are lead, but please share so this important story can reach as many as I am able to take it to.  Here is the link:

No comments:

Post a Comment